Subject: Re: Drill Bit Obj
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 12:39:09 -0500 (EST)

->Does anybody have an object of a drill bit, or a suggestion on how to 
->make one.

->I tried lathing 2 curves with an offset to get a nice helix with 2 curved 
->troughs, and then did a boolean subtract with helix in BG and a cylinder 
->in FG.  It sorta worked, but no matter how many variations I tried I 
->always ended up with missing polygons in final object.  I know it can be 
->done - but I'm just not doing something right :(.  Any ideas....?

->Thanks

->--Bill
 
Hi Bill, there was a good artical in March '95 issue of VTU on how to make a
lighbulb.  The technique they used for making the treads for the bulb could
give you a good starting point to create a drill bit.  They used the Lathe
feature in Modeler.  Don't have the mag with me or I would give you more
details. 

      __________________________________________________
     |                                                  |
     | Don Smith - Lightwave Until I Die - 3D Graphics  |
     | SWOL (Amiga & PC Desktop 3D Support) Board Sysop |
     | 510-228-0886                                     |
     | Software On-Line (On-Line Software Store)        |
     | 510-228-1437                                     |
     |                                                  |
     | [email-masked] - [email-masked]    |
     |__________________________________________________|